EGS-ABG offers a European programme shaped to train the current and future generations of animal breeders to meet the challenges presented by the increasing demand of food while reducing the impacts on environment and biodiversity. If mastered, the emergence of genomics should provide means to solve this equation. The aim of EGS-ABG is to generate the future key international leaders of the animal breeding and genetics sector, whether for employment in academia or in industry.
The duration of the doctoral programme is 4 years. It includes carrying out an independent research work on a specific topic (the PhD project). The main characteristics of the PhD project are:
- The project is jointly supervised by two partner institutions.
- The research to be undertaken involves compulsory mobility periods from one institution to the other (typically 3+1 or 2+2 years in the two host institutions).
- An internship period of 3 to 6 months, in industry or in one academic associated partner, is encouraged.
The training activities are jointly organized by the consortium and aim to give to doctoral candidates a high level scientific background in their field of expertise, knowledge in connected fields, an opening on the industry and economic world and a preparation to future employment. During the 4 years of the programme, the activities consist of:
- EGS-ABG activities: one common orientation period “Welcome to EGS-ABG” at the beginning of the project and two Summer Research Schools bringing together all students participating in the programme.
- Advanced scientific courses, which may be “in-depth” studies directly useful for the PhD project or “broadening” courses on expertise areas other than the field of their own PhD project.
- Courses and practicals intended to improve professional skills.
- At the beginning of the programme, each doctoral candidate develop an Individual Training Plan with the help of his/her supervisors. A total of 30 ECTS credits must be obtained before submitting the thesis.
Doctoral candidates who will have successfully completed the programme will be awarded a joint degree or a double degree, according to the context, completed by a diploma supplement. The criteria to be awarded are demanding, ensuring a high recognition of the diploma.